Sunday, October 16, 2011

my story

so, i thought back and realized i should have posted this before my last post. but its ok. heres me backtracking. i originally wrote this post for Praise{Break}. check that out too. enjoy.

I was majoring in architecture at Howard University, making my mother proud and planning a future life where I had a lot of money [which I never had] and provided for my family. I was doing what everyone wanted me to do, what I was supposed to do.

But I didn't want to be an architect.


I mean, I am interested in architecture, like I'm interested in a lot of things. I would have been okay as an architect, eventually, I think. But it wasn't my passion and I started to see that maybe it wasn't my plan.

I wanted to do event planning [specifically for non-profits]. I realized this around my sophomore year at Howard, and I put it out of my mind. That wasn't part of anyone's plan for my life. Except it was someone's plan--God's.

I was hardheaded; no matter what confirmation I got about this, I did not listen. It just didn't seem possible to pursue it and be successful, especially since Howard didn't have that option. I mentioned it, slightly, to a few people, and they of course shut it down, not knowing I was secretly serious. But when they shot it down, so did I. I kept putting it off my mind until last December. I was being attacked mentally, emotionally, financially, and having family and school issues. That's when I really started re-evaluating my life and the direction I was going.

I withdrew from Howard this past February. I plan on going to George Washington University for their event management certificate program and taking the certification exam within the next few years. This was a hard, scary decision, and a lot of pain and heartache happened before and after I finally submitted to God and pursued my passion.

I believe there are different paths to take. Your work can be your passion, or you can work and do your passion as volunteer work, or work and do your passion when you retire, etc...and none of these are the "right" answer. You are an individual, and you have to listen to God [whatever you do in your "you and God time"] so you know and understand what is your path to take.

Don't let fear and doubt paralyze you. I've watched my friends celebrate as they graduated this May, or [for my architecture friends] celebrate because they only have a year left. I've cried knowing that it may not happen for me, or if it does, it's going to be a while. [Event Management does not require a degree, but I am thinking of getting a degree in graphic design.] But that is their story, and this is mine. I had to realize that. YOU have to realize that.

Make your life YOUR story, and not a spin-off of someone else's idea of a sitcom.

Watch my video to see the in-depth story.


No comments:

Post a Comment